Friday, December 6, 2019

Why I dropped Hearthstone and now enjoy my days playing MTG Arena

I played Hearthstone ever since it's first expansion. Let's just say I got hooked instantly after discovering the game. I did all of my daily quests and had fun making gimmick decks. Such as a Dwarf deck where I just used cards with Dwarves in their card art. You could say I was quite innocent to the games nature at the time.

Over the following years I got all my heroes to golden (over 500 wins with each) and I cleared all of the adventures on Heroic. I essentially aimed to do everything I could, and I played it every day! I ended up with around 8000 victories in total.

If I had so much fun, why did I stop playing? Enter Magic The Gathering

About a year ago me and a friend of mine decided to try paper Magic. My father was an old player who had a vast collection of old cards and I had always wanted to learn the game. In short, we loved it! After learning all of the rules we had a blast and would play almost each day at High School during our breaks.

I bought myself a Vrask planeswalker deck, and inside I found a card with a code which allowed me to acquire this deck within Magic The Gathering Arena. After finishing the tutorial I was introduced to the daily quests within the game, and compared to Hearthstone it was like a treasure trove! I had so much fun just completing my mastery and being flabbergasted at how the game just handed me several completed decks which were all viable and each taught me new mechanics of the game.

When I booted up Hearthstone again to do my daily quests I found myself gradually loosing interest as it dawned on me just how shallow the game felt compared to MTG Arena, despite Arena being a much younger Digital Card Game it offered me so much more value!

Daily value comparison

Hearthstone offers you daily quests which grant you around 50% of what you need to buy a single cardpack, within said pack you get 5 cards where one card will always have a rarity of Rare or higher. You may disenchant these cards for Dust. The Dust which you get from cards in Hearhtstone is insanely low, if you wish to create a specific deck you will often have to disenchant several of your other cards. This is especially true for Legendary cards, as they require 1600 dust but disenchanting one gives you just 400 dust. In short, in Hearthstone you NEED to put in real money to stay on top. Each day you get one Quest and winning 3 games grants you 10 gold. One pack is 100 gold. Meaning you have to WIN 30 games each day if you want a cardpack excluding the daily quest. The worst part is that they cap you at 100 gold. I had days where I would play hearthstone all day using a powerful deck, but I would get stopped at 100 gold. This resets the next day so you can earn gold anew. It's also important to note that in Hearthstone daily quests can only be completed on the Ladder. So unless you have a quest related to your ladder built deck then you will have to wait for the next day so you can change it for a random new quest.

MTG Arena gives you so much more! You get daily quests, gold and EXP. You get several quests to do that award you, 15 each day to be exact! And I often end up playing beyond this, because its just so much fun! Doing quests feels rewarding and fun. When I get a quest related to a specific color, I get excited, as it gives me a good reason to switch to another deck or make a whole new one!
As mentioned, MTG Arena gifts you many decks, but after that you are left to collect cards on your own, and it feels exciting to bust open packs! The Wildcard system makes sure that you can craft cards of a specific rarity, and after a certain amount of packs are opened you get a gradually higher rarity Wildcard, making busting open backs even more rewarding as even though you might not get a super powerful or exciting card, you might get a wildcard to make one! And unlike Hearthstone you can actually do all daily quests on the Play (casual) mode.

The grind/ladder comparison

Basically I never achieved Legend in Hearthstone. I got very close several times, but I just couldn't. The ladder experience in Hearthstone can be described as crawling up a mountain filled with lego pieces without any shoes on. There is no way to know stay completely secure and before you know it you will end up screaming. There is just too much RNG in Hearthstone and the meta always becomes a Rock x Paper X Scissor situation where there are 3 dominant decks that will crush any and all decks that try doing anything that isn't Meta.

In MTG Arena I don't have this experience. Frankly I have never even looked up any "top meta decks" as I have so much fun playing my own decks! As of lately I just created an elemental deck using Risen Reef as a way to ramp up my lands and fill my hand and board with elementals. I am having a blast playing it and I actually feel like my own deck can climb the ladder! Not once while playing MTG Arena have I felt rage the same way I did when trying to climb the ladder in Hearthstone!

Finally

As time went on I just stopped playing Hearthstone. I haven't played for over an entire month now and I feel so much better! Upon discovering MTG Arena and after interacting with the Magic community I see no reason to ever go back! I have so much fun talking with people about the game and discussing fun possible combos!

My reasons for stopping to play Hearthstone mainly came from a mechanical standpoint as MTG Arena proved to be so much better, but if anyone wonders the "Blizzard Controversy" also served as a kind of nail in the coffin. This thread served as a sort of confession for myself, as I just really needed to write down why I find myself playing so much MTG Arena each day, and fully dropped Hearthstone.

If anyone stopped playing Hearthstone and picked up MTG Arena for the same or other reasons I would love to hear about it ^^

THANK YOU for reading this, thank you to all of you for being part of such a wonderful community! <3



Submitted December 07, 2019 at 02:08AM by Doctor_Danimao https://ift.tt/2RsIVB3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...