Friday, October 4, 2019

Op-Ed: ‘Joker’ is Not the Problem, the Media Is

JOKER.

As a European, the sudden controversy and "cancel culture" among some US film journalists are appalling in regards to this film. Is i really so controversial? I understand the climate difference between US and Europe in regards to "lone gunmen" and violence and so forth, but really? Taxi Driver is almost 45 years old, and we have much, much more twisted and controversial films released in the last years (e.g. The House That Jack Built), even though that one is aimed at a much smaller audience.

I believe Jordan Ruimy hits the nail on the head in this Op-Ed from World of Reel:

Why are critics complaining that this could spark violence by way of “incels”? Because they can’t handle the truth. What is the truth? That “Joker” is a film mirroring our own society, and it dares us to look at ourselves in the mirror. The parallels to today’s world are there — societal alienation has never felt more current than it does today.

I believe art should be allowed to portray the world (realistic or unrealistic) in what way it see fits, and so a film about a mad "incel" (if you like) turning crazy is no problem at all. What do you think? (I'm seeing it tonight - can't wait!)



Submitted October 04, 2019 at 09:48AM by PingvinHeroin https://ift.tt/2M5V1f6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...