Saturday, October 26, 2019

Nothing is wrong with adult beauty pageants.

I'm not sure how popular or unpopular this opinion is, but several people have told me they think beauty pageants are misogynistic. I strongly disagree. For consenting adults to participate in beauty pageants poses no reasonable threat to anyone.

If you don't like beauty pageants, don't watch them. Don't compete in them. Find something else to do that you like better. No harm, no foul.

I don't compete in pageants, but I have a friend who recently won one. She's not Miss USA, but she competed in a small local pageant. I got to help out a little bit and it was a really fun ride for both of us.

Beauty pageants are more than just women standing up on a stage and being judged on how pretty they are. It's actually really layered and intricate. For example, I bet you didn't know how much thought goes into just picking the right colors to contrast your nails with your skin tone. Your eyes and your highlighter have to balance out too. There's a whole art to this.

Do beauty pageants sexualize women? I guess some people look at it that way, but I think it's unfair to single out beauty pageants as the problem here. The whole entertainment industry sexualizes women. Watch any Hollywood movie, listen to any song on the radio. All of these things portray women in a sexualized manner.

Also, if this kind of event makes you view women as less than human, I think the problem is with you and not with beauty pageants. This is like people who say girls at school shouldn't show their ankles, because that can turn the boys on and the boys won't be able to focus. If a boy can't focus at school because he sees a girl's ankles, that boy is the one who needs help.

Like I said, you don't have to watch if it's not something you're interested in, but it's unreasonable to say that anything is wrong with beauty pageants themselves.



Submitted October 27, 2019 at 12:15AM by Michele_Creme https://ift.tt/2WioeIC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...