Friday, October 25, 2019

Could I get some recommendations based on what I've loved and not enjoyed? Detailed explanations inside!

I know there's a Tuesday thread for this but I can't see anything in the rules preventing it on other days and I'm going to go into a fair amount of detail, more than would fit nicely in a comment, so I hope making a thread is okay.

I'm after some recommendations, based on what I've watched and enjoyed and tried and not enjoyed. I'm not a hardcore anime watcher, I watch the odd series now and then. I tend to know pretty quickly what I like and don't like. None of the ones listed in my like category took more than one episode to sell me.


Features I like:

  • Following a team or group with varied designs and a range of (overpowered) interesting abilities.
  • Special weapons with badass powers.
  • A wide variety of villains with interesting abilities.
  • Over-the-top OP fights.
  • Characters going on a journey - either physically from one destination to another or collecting something or bringing a group together or something like that.
  • A genuinely compelling group of main characters or story.
  • I hate to admit it, but Gon fucking converted me. I love an optimistic main character. Damn that lovable little shit.
  • Clearly defined teams. Good vs Bad.

Here’s the anime I watched the whole of and enjoyed the crap out of, in order of my enjoyed to least enjoyed. If it’s on this list I definitely enjoyed it, though.

Hunter x Hunter

Wonder from start to finish. Amazing characters, amazing stories. I didn’t like the insect arc but though it was concluded fantastically. Love the wide variety of abilities and powers. A little annoying in how much time the character spend explaining them, though. THIS IS MY CONTRACT WITH CONDITIONS. IT HAS THE PROPERTY OF BOTH BUNGEE AND GUM. etc. I miss these guys.

Attack on Titan

Fantastic characters and story, some great action. I enjoyed this far more than I expected to, mainly because of the genuinely involving characters. I cared about a lot of them, not something often true when I watch anime.

Rokka

Loved this. Some of the best character design I’ve seen, genuinely interesting and engaging characters, great story. The ending left me a bit flat but I didn’t hate it. I might not have stuck with this one if I hadn't know the twist that was coming but I'm glad I did as I loved it.

One-Punch Man

Absolutely nails the variety of heroes villains with wacky abilities. Engaging characters and stories. Great action.

The Seven Deadly Sins

Although I don’t rate it as highly as any of those listed above, I really enjoyed this. I spent a distracting amount of time hoping Elizabeth will die a gruesome, painful death, but other than that it’s great fun. Interesting characters and abilities. Realistically the only one I actually would be sad to see die would be Diane, but they’re a fun group to watch. Meliodas' constant perving gets pretty old fast.

Akame ga Kill!

The actual story wasn’t the strongest, but I loved the over-the-top characters and fighting styles. It met a surprising number of my core qualities listed above and I enjoyed it.


Features I don't like:

  • Overly dark or brooding
  • Vampires
  • Ones where all the girls dress in the overly ornate, fiddly, complicated dresses with ruffs and things.

Ones I tried but didn’t grab me:

KONOSUBA

This one I loved the world and character design and style but there was just something rather… pathetic about it. The main character is such a loser and it feels so much like an anime designed to fulfil fantasies. Something just didn’t sit right with me with this one, though I intend to give it another try.

Overlord

All seemed rather meh.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure

I found it impossible to care about JoJo or Dio and the whole artistic style doesn’t appeal to me. Will probably try it again sometime but there’s just something about it that fundamentally doesn’t work for me.

A Certain Specific Railgun

I found myself bored very quickly. High-pitched bickering schoolgirls do not make for an interesting anime, for me at least.

Black Lagoon

Not entirely sure why it didn’t appeal. Loved the animation style but something about the characters and story fell very flat. Don’t think I finished more than an episode or two.

Cowboy Bebop

Don’t hate me for this one, but I watched the first episode and it just did nothing for me at all. Will definitely re-try it one day but it doesn’t really fit into the category of what I like from an anime.

Fairy Tail

It was okay, but nothing about it jumped out at me. I watched a couple of episodes then went to take a shit and by the time I came back I’d forgotten I was watching it. Not normally a good sign. There’s also a loooooot of it so I’m wary of it.

My Hero Academia

The first episode did nothing to draw me into the world, make me care about the characters. Also didn’t much like the art style. I’ll probably try this again sometime as it seems to fit some of my core criteria, but it didn’t make a good first impression.


In an ideal world I'd find one with the team dynamics of Akame and Seven Deadly Sins, the emotional weight of Attack on Titan, the lovable characters of Hunter, the fantastic weaponry and powers of Akame/Hunter/One-Punch. Not much to ask for!

Thanks for any advice you guys and gals can provide!



Submitted October 25, 2019 at 06:20PM by Jimmni https://ift.tt/2WasGZY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...