Thursday, October 3, 2019

Artist Moving to Maine

Hi there, i hope this is alright, it seemed like job postings were being removed from the mega thread so i thought i'd make my own, too.

I'm currently living in Los Angeles, but i grew up in southern NH, and looking to move back to New England sometime next year (hopefully). I was wondering if i could get some insight on artistic opportunities in Maine, specifically Portland, ME (i know i know, everyone is asking about Portland.)

I have 8 years of experience working in the Animation industry here in LA. My ideal scenario is to continue working remotely for LA studios. I'm part of a union, the rates are good, and i could keep my health insurance, so long as i can nail down enough remote work to maintain my membership status. If i can get at least 25 hours a week of union work, i don't anticipate an issue, but because i've never done this before, i'm also looking into other avenues to make money. To supplement my animation work, i was considering taking on illustration work, tattooing, or perhaps teaching. I'd love to teach drawing, animation, or layout/design courses (i'm a background designer by trade), if there's an availability for that. (It would also get me out of my house, as someone who would be working from home).

I'll be honest, i'm just nervous. I desperately want to move back east to be closer to family, seasons, etc, but it's daunting to give up my 40 hour job. Is there a community of freelance artists, or working artists in general, i could connect with in Portland or Southern Maine? People who are also making a living on their art? I visited Portland last month and many people seemed surprised that i pay my bills with an art career.

Thanks for the help!



Submitted October 04, 2019 at 12:43AM by lozzadraws https://ift.tt/2AG5WqL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...