Saturday, June 8, 2019

Thoughts about S5E3 (Rachel Jack and Ashley Too)

I realised something while watching the end of Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too the other day. Basically: I don't think the ending is quite as light as it seems at first.

The pop song Ashley sings at the beginning and the rock song she sings at the end are basically the same with altered lyrics (they come from the same source). I think what Brooker is trying to tell us is this: a performer is always commodifying themselves, no matter what kind of art they're making. Ashley is clearly happier making rock music at the end, so the ending is still generally positive. But adding plaid shirts and guitars doesn't extract you from that system - she's still marketing herself, except to a different crowd. She's still singing the same song.

EDIT: I know that she's singing two versions of a Nine Inch Nails song that exists IRL - I think the interpretation still stands though



Submitted June 08, 2019 at 01:33PM by andromedae17 http://bit.ly/2WnEEha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...