Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Guide a fellow to the concept art enlightenment

Hi everyone !

hope everything is going great in the concept art world.

My name is Alejandro and I'm writing you as I saw a lot of post in this community where you give plenty of advice and guidance to some aspiring concept artist (which have a better situation than mine tbh). And I thought I will take my chances to write you knowing you that for sure you are super busy with work, given I don't have any other experienced opinion at the moment.

I will try to keep it shortly and let my personal story at the bottom in case you have time/ want to read it.

I'm a 26 software engineer that discover that his passions lay in concept art (details and context at the bottom) which cannot draw a thing for now (in other words no artistic talent in that sense) as you can see here https://imgur.com/a/vBBPJtF. Still I’m working my ass off to improve 💪.

After reading as many posts and articles I came up with the following roadmap.

1.From July to December I'm doing Proko Figure drawing course, drawabox and taking drawing lessons once or twice per week (still negotiating prices )

2.Starting January until July I Thought to do this intro illustration course at CG Spectrum https://www.cgspectrum.edu.au/online-courses/learn-how-to-draw-concept-art/

3.Between January and February I was thinking of getting some kind of portfolio to apply to this 6 months program in Canada which seems to be very nice (though I have to confess that it would be a huge hit for my finances and well I will have to quit my job )https://synstudio.ca/full-time-intensive/ but if its worth it I'm committed to do it

4.July to December will be the Canada program

5.I aspire to have a decent portfolio by December 2020 to apply to a game design bachelor here in Zurich (still not sure if its just better to keep working and taking courses instead of pursuing a 3 years career. ) https://www.zhdk.ch/en/degree-programmes/design/ba-design-game-design

6.Do the advance concept art program in CG Spectrum and start lookign for game jams and internships

Questions or feedback:

1.Is the Canada experience really worth it or is better just to save enough to go to a program as FZD, or just do the online courses in CG Spectrum ?

2.The bachelor seems tempting as I wouldn't mind go back to study and it comes with the chance to get contact with the industry and some times nail an Internship. But 3 years are 3 years. What do you think ?

3.Any other material recommendations or changes to the roadmap are really appreciate it

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm really sorry to bother you out of the blue.

Really looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Alejandro .

PD: As I promise I will let some of my personal story and experience in this section.

I have always love video games, to the point that I choose CS major as I thought that being in front of the computer was ton of fun. Before that I really like to draw some anime characters or my favorite warner bros cartoons. Unfortunately I stop doing it as I was strongly compared with my sister that at the time drew a lot better than me (silly things you do when you are 12).

Apart from my strong attachment to video games and anime I have always been a person that enjoys learning new things (psychology, biology, architecture etc) and is all over the place reading about different topics.

Funny fact. Every boring class was marked in my notebook with silly shapeless sketches of god knows why :P.

After I got my bachelor I have been working in a lot of different companies always looking for this satisfaction that fills you when you do something that you are really passionate about. I have not been able to find it in programming so far. At the beginning I thought it was due to the company or the rol, which I have been changing for 3 years now without success.

After moving oversees, with some time in my hands I did the sketches I sent you above and I have never felt so happy and rewarded. Even though they are terrible and only bad copies of the original images. I have been drawing since that every day as my hungry to doing better grows and grows. So far that I'm willing to embark myself in this crazy adventure you call concept art.

Thanks a lot again if you made through here. I'm really want to make this work.

Best regards.

Sorry for the long text.

Alejandro



Submitted June 25, 2019 at 09:46AM by nautiluz92 http://bit.ly/2WX9PQJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...