Sunday, June 2, 2019

EM tries to destroy my 36€ mixed media sketchbook to make paper airplanes for her son.

Just another encounter with some entitled shit at a train station in Gent. I mentioned in other stories but I am a student at the University of Gent and go there by train almost every day. Also if my grammer is shit I will blame it on my long nails (also I’m belgian/ german so usually no English here)

I usually take a sketchbook with me for when I have a break between lessons or waiting on my train home. My current sketchbook is a Strathmore mixed media art journal (about 36€). This is the most expensive sketchbook I own so I take good care of it. Also this is not a spiral bound book so you can’t take out the pages without destroying the book.

So it was the end of the day, I went to the train station and waited for my train to arrive. Which for some reason is almost always delayed. I sit down in one of the waiting rooms (idk what to call them, the glass boxes next to the rails). There were a few people in there, one pair being a boy (about 11 or so) and his mother. I did notice how the kid was annoying his mother because of the delayed train.

I understand that it can be very frustrating. I sat down, took out my sketchbook and started drawing. Didn’t take the kid too long to come over and watch what I was doing.

EK: Can I have a piece of paper?

Me: Sorry but the pages of this book can’t be taken out.

The kid said nothing and went back to his mother. I kept sketching until hearing someone clear their throat.

EM: Can you please give my son some paper? We’ve been waiting for a while and he is bored.

EK: Mom can I have the paper already? I want to make some airplanes.

Me: I’m sorry but as I said before I can’t rip pages out of this book. I show her the bound pages without perforation lines

EM: It’s just a paper book. It can’t be that hard to take out a single page. she grabs the book and starts trying to pull out a page

I immediatly got up and took the book back. I saved up a while for a fancy sketchbook and wasn’t gonna watch a random lady destroy it and a drawing. Also the other people were starting to look over at that point.

Me: Don’t dare to touch that book again. I closed the book and held it away from her

EM: Don’t be so dramatic, it’s a paper book. Also it’s almost empty, you could just give us the book.

Me: This book costed me about 36€, it is not a regular paper book. This is a mixed media art journal. I turned the book over showing the price tag, still glued on

EM: Who would ever spend so much money on a paper book?

EK: Mom I’m bored!

EM: Don’t worry you can make some planes in a bit she reached for the book again

Me: If you dare to touch this book again I have no problem with uqing force to keep you from taking my things.

EM: How dare you speak to me like that!

Me “insert german cursewords” (yeah not typing those out here..) Now leave me alone. I got better things to do than explain shit to you.

EM: *grabs her son and leaves the box (again idk how to call this thing)

I actually waited for a later train to make sure I could avoid being on the train with her. I didn’t want to get another on the train incident like the watercolor one.

My sketchbook did have some slight damage but my drawing was fine to me. Also I didn’t really want to cause toomuch of a scene around more people. If she would have been the only one in there I would not have let her go so fast.



Submitted June 02, 2019 at 07:00PM by SentraTeaNoodle http://bit.ly/2Wcggil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...