Tuesday, April 23, 2019

[Breeds] Help picking a dog breed for an experienced owner?

Hi everybody! I'm looking into getting a dog but would like to do plenty of research first so I can feel confident I am choosing the right breed for me. Previously, I lived with my family, one member of which was not fond of dogs and was quite restrictive on what I could have. Now that I have finished college and am getting a place of my own, I'm excited to finally be able to choose a dog of my own. It'll be at least 4 months down the road, but choosing a breed is a good place for me to start. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

1) Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs? * I am an experienced dog owner who has had both small and large breeds before. I have also taken care if other peoples' dogs and am I long-time shelter volunteer. I have advanced obedience training skills and can handle stubborn breeds, but I do prefer dogs of at least average trainability.

2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a reputable breeder? * I am open to rescuing, almost all of my dogs have been rescues. However if it is a purebred dog where some lines are known to be genetically predisposed to health complications, I would rather go to a breeder with parent dogs who have had health screening.

3) Describe your ideal dog. * I would like a dog who I can form a strong connection to, since I don't have any kids or any other "furbabies", as people like to call it. I like a dog that looks big and intimidating, because I myself look small and vulnerable, but it isn't a must. I enjoy small breeds, too. I want a dog who I can train and show off to my peers and family.

4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why? * I'm personally a big fan of bully breeds, but want to avoid it this time in case I have to move someday to a place where they're not so well-received. Some other breeds that have always been my favorites are Great Danes, Great Pyrenees, Pomeranians, Papillons, and almost all large breed dogs. The only dog breeds I don't get along well with are border collies (or similar breeds like Aussies) and yorkies. I also don't want a breed who is overrun with health problems (like an English Bulldog)

5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do? * My dog will be learning at the very minimum basic obedience, advanced obedience if possible with the breed. Training is something I enjoy doing with my dogs and is a regular activity to me.Care Commitments

6) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day? * Training to me is an everyday thing, no exception. Even if it's just a 5 minute session. Other than that, I love walking with dogs. I'm not an overly active person in the fall or winter but do enjoy exploring parks in the summer. I'd still be willing to walk my dog when cold as needed. And I would also be willing to invest in a doggie treadmill for indoors on days where the weather is too bad to walk.

7) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park? * I personally do not like going to dog parks. My preferred methods of exercise is walking and occasionally jogging with my dog. Outside of time spent walking to go potty, I typically walk or jog my dog for about 45 minutes. Other exercises include fetch, flirt pole, and frisbee.

8) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly? * I can brush my dog daily. I am used to having both long double-coated dogs and short haired dogs. I regularly trim my dog's nails and inspect ears. In the event I couldn't do something myself, I would take my dog to a professional. My personal preference is a low-shedding dog, but at this point in time I'm so used to dog hair it hardly matters.

9) What size dog are you looking for? * I would like a medium or large dog best, something at least 50lbs.+, but I can make exceptions for the right small dog. I would rather have a small or big dog than a medium dog.

10) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle? * I don't like unnecessary barking, but I have successfully been able to train dogs not to bark unless alerting of something. I probably wouldn't do well with a yappy dog, but I'm okay with "talking" dogs like Huskies. I can handle more hair than any person should ever have to handle, but it's better if I don't have to. Hair is not a deal-breaker. Slobber doesn't phase me.

11) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area? My dog should be able to walk next to me off-leash. But if my dog is in the yard unsupervised, it'll most likely be on a tieout. *Personality wise, I like a dog who takes himself seriously, but knows how to have fun, too.**

12) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space? * I'm happy somewhere in the middle. I don't mind a clingy dog, but I also like having some room to sleep on my own bed.

13) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please? * I definitely like an eager-to-please dog. I enjoy building relationships through training my dog and giving him fun and complex problems to solve.

14) How would you prefer your dog to respond to someone knocking on the door or entering your yard? How would you prefer your dog to greet strangers or visitors? * I want my dog to be careful around strangers, but not extremely aggressive. A dog who alerts to someone pulling into the driveway would be okay. It's also okay if my dog happens to be very friendly of everyone.

15) Are you willing to manage a dog that is aggressive to other dogs? * I can and have handled breeds with animal aggression. I prefer them not to have it, but I can handle it if it develops unexpectedly as the dog matures.

16) Are there any other behaviors you can’t deal with or want to avoid? * I'd like to avoid yappy dogs, stubborn-to-train dogs, or dogs that will try to nip at or injure my chickens or other small livestock. I do not mind a lifestock-guardian type dog, though. My lifestyle is pretty stationary in cold whether, but I love to explore when it's warm out. I enjoy being outside. My hobbies include art, gardening, and birdwatching. My activity level varies, but I make room for activity when the dog needs it. Even if I'm feeling tired that day.

17) How often and how long will the dog be left alone? * The dog will not be left alone for very long. At most, the dog may be left alone for about 5 hours. I'd be willing to pay for pet check-ins or a camera in the event I will be gone for a long time.

18) What are the dog-related preferences of other people in the house and what will be their involvement in caring for the dog? * My significant other enjoys the company of dogs and is not opposed to aiding in their care. We do not have kids.

19) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they? * I keep aquariums and sometimes small livestock or poultry. Sometimes I keep small reptiles, though they have secure enclosures and will not be interacting with the dog. In my future, I can see us possibly adopting a cat. As it stands, we have no cats or dogs or anything like that.

20) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly? * The dog will not be living with children and will probably only interact with them on occasion.

21) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease? * No applicable breed or weight restrictions.

22) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds? * Where I live right now prohibits BSL and all breeds are welcome. Aggressive dogs are judged on a case-by-case basis.

23) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live? * Temperature is seasonal and fluctuates greatly. Some summers are mild, some soar over 100°F. Some winters we don't see snow, some winters we get several feet of snow. The dog will have an insulated dog house outside for these weather conditions and of course is allowed inside.Thunderstorms and tornadoes are prevalent where I live, and there will be shelter for the dog to take with us in extreme whether

24) Please provide any additional information you feel may be relevant. * I suffer from tremendous anxiety, chronic depression, and other psychiatric disabilities for which I have been getting treatment for over the span of 7 years. My doctor will prescribe me an emotional support letter in the event that I need one (as they did for my last pet, which passed away recently) Because of this, regardless of breed, the dog will be able to stay with me if I move. However, I prefer not to have a pitbull-type dog because I fear the stigma surrounding them may put certain limitations in place if I decide to move and would be harder to travel with.

25) Feel free to ask any questions below.



Submitted April 24, 2019 at 04:04AM by TouringOuterSpace http://bit.ly/2UAeWVJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...