Saturday, March 23, 2019

Helping a teenager with advice

I’m looking for advice on behalf of my daughter, a freshman who is leaning toward cosmetology at her technical high school. She loves makeup, styling her hair, and nails, and is also talented at art.

I’m curious what advice you might have for her as she explores this career! She will graduate by taking (and hopefully passing) the state cosmetology board licensing exam, so she’ll have a solid credential to work with. What I’m wondering:

  • Are there any other subjects she should take or topics beyond school that she should explore?
  • Are there particular skills that a cosmetology program will not teach her that she should really know?
  • There’s not a lot of good info out there on cosmetology schools that’s not just sales pitches - I’ve struggled to find objective information on the differences between Aveda, Empire, an associate’s degree from a community college, etc. What should we look for?
  • Is there any good explainer out there on the economics of cosmetology? I’m trying to understand booth rentals, apprenticeships, etc.
  • She is very nervous about the prospect of cutting someone else’s hair and screwing it up. I’ve told her she can do mine, but as a balding 40-year-old dude, I’m not much of a professional challenge. How do you get past that fear of messing up?

Thank you for any tidbits you can offer! I’m a $15/cut, please-don’t-chat-with-me Ron Swanson hair kind of guy, so this world is COMPLETELY foreign to me - but I want to make sure I understand what she’s doing in order to support her the best I can.

Thanks!



Submitted March 24, 2019 at 01:25AM by fakeorigami https://ift.tt/2UReKTa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...