Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Had my bilateral salpingectomy yesterday!

I (28F) had probably the best luck through the whole process. I scheduled a consultation with a gynecologist I had never seen before who was recommended by my PCP. I went in with a 10-page document of all the reasons why I wanted a bilateral salpingectomy and why I didn't want kids. She did not bat an eye when I asked for sterilization and I barely had to reference my binder at all. "You don't want to have kids? That's fine. Not every woman wants to have kids. I don't want to have kids." We had a nice conversation about the paternalistic aura that still pervades a lot of the OBGYN practice, and then we proceeded to do the pre-op exam right then and there and get the surgery scheduled. (I'll add her to the list provided I can figure out how, haha.)

In preparation for my surgery, I worked out and fixed my diet (best way to recover from surgery is to be in as good of health as possible going into it), made a bunch of keto-friendly meals and snacks, and cleaned my apartment. Basically, I did all my adulting over the weekend so I wouldn't have to while I was recovering.

Before the surgery, I talked to a couple of nurses, somebody from Vascular Access who had to come down to get the IV in since the other nurses were having problems getting it in, my gynecologist, and an anesthesiologist. NOT A SINGLE BINGO WAS HAD.

I felt like a million bucks coming out of the surgery; whatever they doped me up with was the bomb. I laid around in the recovery room for a while; when I was ready to stand up, I shuffled to the bathroom and peed like a whole teaspoon, but this was enough to satisfy the nurse that everything was still hooked up and functional. Got discharged around 5:30pm. I had never been wheeled around in a wheelchair before; it was kind of fun.

Except for a dull ache in my abdomen and occasional sharp twinges near the incision site in my navel, I've been pretty comfortable. I also had my Mirena IUD removed, so I've had a little bit of vaginal bleeding. GasX knocked down the bloating and I haven't had any referred shoulder pain. The only mistake I made was attempting to use a serving of Natural Calm in a glass of water as a laxative; I made it through about three-fourths of the glass before throwing up, so the friend keeping an eye on me drove me to the Walgreens down the street to pick up some docusate sodium, which I'd used before. One incision did bleed a little when I was replacing the dressing on it today, but it stopped almost immediately so I'm not hugely concerned. I've been able to get by with just Advil and Tylenol; I haven't touched the oxycodone they prescribed me.

So now I'm going to enjoy the rest of my week off from work, practice my nail art, play some video games, knit, and celebrate my permanent childfreeness!



Submitted March 27, 2019 at 02:39AM by namidaame49 https://ift.tt/2FDym85

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...