Thursday, January 31, 2019

Student Urban Designer Needing advice

I'm currently studying an MA in Urban Design but have started to have doubts over how my course is ran and potentially going into the career at all, i did my undergraduate in Urban Planning and opted for modules in urban design through out

My issue is there seems to be a distinct difference between Town Planning urban design modules and MA urban design modules, namely my undergraduate modules seemed to focus on the concept, ideas and innovations and how they would actually work over the graphic representations (they were graphically represented and backed up by a report) where as what im finding now on the MA just seems to be advanced colouring, there is a clear focus on the graphics which seems to take precedent over the actual details of the concept, an example of this is we were informed that any writing on our final crit was simply going to be ignored as they wouldnt bother to read them, and this shift in focus is reflected in the mark schemes too.

my main concern is how does it actually work in the real world of practice? i dont have an art qualification but im pretty good with design packages like sketchup, adobe suite etc but where does real world practice focus more so on the graphics or the concepts? is it achievable to have a career focusing on the actual concepts, designs and innovations?

i understand these are questions i should probably be asking my tutor but seen as my MA personal tutor is also the head of the course and main marker i dont know where to really turn with my doubts, i fought tooth and nail to get on this course but its just not what i expected. is there a career in the built environment market which has my focus, is it this one? im lost and this is the only place i could think to turn.

my main interests are around; Community engagement, festivalisation, retrofitting and smart city implementation, ive always had an interest in urban exploration and how to bring theses unused spaces back into a vibrant part of the city



Submitted January 31, 2019 at 09:01PM by thelosturbanist http://bit.ly/2DMK5As

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...