Friday, December 6, 2019

I watched Blood Simple (1984)

This was a great film. My Fourth Coen Brother film, (after Fargo, The Big Lebowski, and O Brother, Where Art Thou?) so you could say this is my first “serious” Coen Brother film. For a directional debut, this was great.

Acting:9/10 Directing:10/10 Writing:9/10 Overall:9/10

One of the film’s strong points in terms of writing is that every scene has importance. This is helped by the Coens’ directing. The first act is a set up while the second and third have some tense moments. Half of the second act and half of the third act lack dialogue to add suspense to this film. The acting is great. Frances McDormand is the one who is the best actor in this film. The others manage to make their acting great as well. I was surprised when I watched this film as this was the Coen Brothers’ first film directing, and they nailed it while making their unique style that can be seen in their other films.

The whole second act in which Ray tries to hide and bury Julian’s body is one of the best second acts of all time. Blood Simple could’ve been just a short film with only the second act and still be considered one of the best.

Overall this is a must watch for everyone, especially fans of the Coens.



Submitted December 07, 2019 at 06:23AM by arnov12 https://ift.tt/2DT71wT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...