Friday, November 1, 2019

Opinion - Why Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is My Favorite MCU Film

This is my first official post on this subreddit (that wasn't a crosspost), but I am a huge fan of the MCU. I enjoy a great amount of the films that Marvel Studios has produced.

But one film in particular, one that I feel does not get enough credit, is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Now, the first Guardians of the Galaxy is a great film, although if I were to point at any problems with the first it's that the antagonist, Ronan the Accuser, is a terribly written villain. Otherwise, I would definitely consider the first to be one of the best ones. But Vol. 2, the subject of this post, is my favorite with Endgame at a close second.

When I first saw Vol. 2 in 2017, I thought it was very good but not great like the first one. Then I rewatched it, and it actually did something that no other film in the MCU had done at that point, and (in my opinion) still has not done yet: it made me feel powerful emotions beyond the spectacle, the humor, and the action. It made me sad, it made me happy, it made me appreciate the people in my life, especially my father, and it made me appreciate James Gunn as a director. This is because of the subtext about parenthood and forcing others away. Lindsay Ellis made a perfect video on this topic, and I couldn't even try to explain it any better.

There's also the opinion that I hold that Vol. 2 handles the characters even better than the first one.

A great example is Yondu. I'll admit, I didn't care about him that much in Vol. 1, but in Vol. 2 he steals the show to the point that he's honestly one of the best characters in the entire MCU. And yes, "I'm Mary Poppins y'all" is a really funny line, but his sacrifice is genuinely saddening but also sweet, and his death is the saddest death in the entire MCU, followed closely by Tony Stark's sacrifice in Endgame.

Rocket is another example. I immensely enjoy his story arc and thematic purpose, and Bradley Cooper's vocal performance is legitimately great. Star-Lord is another great character, and Dave Bautista as Drax is very charismatic and likable. Gamora and Nebula evolve into, in my opinion, the best female characters in the entire MCU. Also Ego is one of the better MCU villains, and a far better villain than Ronan the Accuser ever will be.

The story does not rehash anything, and I appreciate that. But the emotion, which I did already touch upon, is the best part of the film. The ending with the brilliant use of "Father and Son" makes me cry, no joke.

Also, there's all the craft departments that are nailed. The cinematography is incredible for the MCU. The music is wonderful. The CGI and art direction is incredible. The editing is well done.

All in all, this is my favorite MCU film. I do have problems with it, namely, some of the humor. I'd say about 20% of the humor does fall flat. But in the end, I don't care. This is not only the most underrated MCU movies, but it is also the best one in my opinion.

What do you guys think?



Submitted November 01, 2019 at 04:38PM by aheaney15 https://ift.tt/2N7kgQc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...