Monday, June 17, 2019

What are some tips for nailing an action shot like this?

I love this guy's work:

The EXIF data on this says:

Make Canon

Model Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Aperture 2.8

Exposure Time 1/2500 (0.0004 sec)

Focal Length 85.0 mm

Flash Off, Did not fire

I was surprised to see it's a 5D MK3. I was thinking it would be a sports action camera like a Nikon D5 or something!

I have a Sony A7R III. I have the 24-70mm GM and the 70-200mm GM. I have never been able to nail a capture like this. I'm not understanding how all of the details in this photo add up:

  1. There is a beautiful balance of motion blur and detail in the sand flying around, but the exposure time seems really fast. Would you guess action shots like this were done in aperture priority, or exposure priority?
  2. The focus seems to be basically perfect. Everything on the athlete and the foreground are in focus. Would you assume it's auto focused or manually focused for action shots?
  3. The exposure for me is the most impressive. I've never been able to shoot in front of a cloudy overcast day like that, and forget it if the person is darker skinned. I feel like everything in this is perfectly exposed.. would you assume it's multi-metered exposure? Would you chalk most of this up to RAW post processing to hit these levels?

Besides continuous shooting mode, is there any way to optimize the Sony A7R III in general to perform well for photos like this that have to balance high-speed action with high quality art direction & post-processing potential?



Submitted June 17, 2019 at 11:33PM by RelocationWoes http://bit.ly/2FetIgg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...