Thursday, June 27, 2019

Nail polish progress.

Last year I had way over 100 nail polishes and a lot of accompanying paraphernalia to do with doing nails and realised it was becoming a problem for me, so I've been on nail polish low buy for about a year and working on minimising the "collection" without being wasteful. It's had it's up and downs, the amount is smaller, but the issue is not really fixed.

I guess first thing I came to realise is I didn't like gel polishes and they destroyed my nails so I gave all gel polishes and tools away to someone interested. They did give all their normal polishes in return but still my nail polish amount dropped by at least a third or so.

Then I tried using every polish once just to see what they are like, so I found out I like looking at glitter polishes but don't like wearing them at all, luckily I had someone happily take all my glitter polishes. I think this was just before giving away glitters.

And then there were nail polishes who would not dry at all no matter how thin coat of polish you'd apply. It was not even old age where they go gooey and you could thin them out and they'd work fine, no they just were miserable to use so those went to trash. Sheer polishes I had to do multiple coats with I kept because I was willing to do with the inconvenience in order not to waste them.

Then I gave away my dark shimmery reds, I still really liked them, but I just had so many polishes still and knew a person who wears only dark shimmery reds so I knew they'd get better use out of them.

I kept using top coats and base coats with the goal of having just one in each category before I can repurchase, so I'm now down to 2 topcoats, 1 basecoat and 3 topcoats with special effects.

In the end I know I don't like gels, glitters, holographics, bright colours, blues, pinks, greens, bottles with big caps, nail oils, cuticle softeners, stamping, stickers, nail art, long nails, I love looking at some of these things which is not the same as loving to wear them. I do like oranges, nudes, purples, shimmers, muted colours, simple manicures, short nails.

This is what I currently have and these five I'm currently working on (a red, a pink, a neutral, a shimmer and a wildcard). I bought 5 nail polishes (1 because it's a colour I love, 4 only because they were on sale) this year out of which I regret three (2 the colour was impulse buy, the other the bottle cap is too big) and was gifted 3, it is a lot better than last years, but I am now on an indefinite no buy of polishes. If I count 1ml of polish as a complete manicure with two layers I still have way to go. Currently I try to choose five polishes I'm using to show myself I can do just fine with a smaller collection, also I must wait at least 3 days between manicures so no wasting time reapplying because I got bored or am avoiding something and I can't buy nail polish at all this year.

My end goal is to narrow down my entire nail routine to 5-10 nail polishes (that I apply only ONCE a week), 1 topcoat, 1 basecoat, 1 nail polish remover, 1 hand cream, at that point I would have a one out one in rule.



Submitted June 27, 2019 at 06:06PM by Akbe https://ift.tt/2YgPjw1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...