Friday, January 25, 2019

This morning, this sub made me cry

Long personal spiel ahead.

I unsubbed years ago and actually gave up nail art for two years due to this subreddit, and recently found my way back. Nail art functions a lot like coloring books for my anxiety, and is nice because coloring books are very hard for me due to my shaky hands.

I have a disability and my hands shake pretty constantly. This makes things like cuticle cleanup and precise nail art really really hard but super rewarding when I nail it. I probably spend 6-10 hours over several days finishing one nail look just because it takes so many retries.

I’ve recently had some pretty bad health news, which resulted in a lot of time home and nail art was one of the few hobbies I could keep up with. So I went all out. I tried fake nails for the first time a few weeks ago. I branched out into building with gels and even bought Holo polish.

Last night I finally made something I was proud of. It wasn’t great, my cuticles had polish all over then because I ran out of qtips and my hands shake. The details were wobbly, but placed where I wanted. I even tried a fun thing I saw in a video where you dremel a little hole in your nail.

So I posted it! I thought I’d get a LOT of cc and maybe 3 upvotes, but instead I woke up to negative downvotes and a single comment that read “oh 🍯 “

Part two- why the heck am I posting this?

I think it’s turbo rude to respond to someone’s NA like that. I understand that we have amazingly gifted artists here and they will always be on the front page because they’re so good.

But that doesn’t mean that we don’t have amateurs in this sub. Every good nail artist was once someone struggling (ok except maybe some of you were born just that good) and I think it’s just going to hurt this subreddit to treat newer artists like they should just give up and stop trying. We aren’t r/makeupaddiction!

All jokes aside, if you’re also a turbo beginner at NA, I see you. I think your nails look fire. I hope you keep practicing and getting better. I hope you have FUN because that’s what nail art is to me. Fun.

Lastly, if you’ve ever commented something rude on someone’s post here- stop. It’s lame, and if you keep doing it I hope your nail art smudges for all eternity.



Submitted January 25, 2019 at 09:58PM by cmunk13 http://bit.ly/2TgVCwU

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...