Thursday, January 24, 2019

Desperate for guidance with this game

Hi, all! I bought Hollow Knight for the Switch around Christmas time. I'd heard great things about the game, so I decided to finally give it a try. I'm a huge fan of the Metroid series, and the exploration and upgrade mechanics of the genre have always appealed to me.

From the moment I started playing, I've adored this game. I love the art style. I love the music. I love the tight controls. Everything about this game is wonderful and beautiful.

Unfortunately, I've come to learn that I am bad at this game. I've long lost count of how many times I've died. I think I'm fine with the platforming elements; it's really just the enemies that are constantly killing me. The game feels relentless in this area. Bosses and even mini bosses kill me over and over. Even when I learn their patterns, I still don't have enough power and health to beat them. I recently got to a point that I simply can't get past. I hate using guides for games, but I eventually had to use one because I couldn't figure out how to pass what I thought HAD to be a boss. It turns out what I thought was a boss was just apparently a regular enemy before the Soul Master boss. I found out that I could get the nail upgrade, which helped me finally beat the enemy BEFORE the Soul Master, but as soon as I got to the Soul Master, I was decimated time and time again.

So I'm asking if there is anything I can do to make this game easier. For example, in Metroid games you can explore for missile tank upgrades and energy tank upgrades. In Zelda games, you can collect heart pieces to create more heart containers and you can collect larger weapon storages. Is there any way to "grind" to make Hollow Knight stronger against enemies that I can't beat beyond just the regular progression of the game? I have the first nail upgrade, I have a charm that grants me two additional lives (the blue lives next to the regular white ones), some charms that deal damage when I'm focusing and when I take damage, and I've even tried using two cocoons to gain even more lives. All this is to no avail still. Is there anything more I can do?

I don't dislike the game. I love it. I want to be better and I want to keep playing. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

TL;DR: I die A LOT and I'm stuck at a boss; afraid it will only get harder. Can I grind to become stronger and have better weapons? If so, How?



Submitted January 25, 2019 at 03:26AM by kylebubb http://bit.ly/2Hv5lOT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...