Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Would you be offended??

Back story- husband has a brother. Brother has a girlfriend of 6 months. They’re both 25. She’s tried very hard to wedge her way into the family. She expected to be invited to our destination wedding one month into dating BIL. We had never even met her at this point. The girlfriend and I don’t have the best relationship. She’s said some mean things to husband and I like I’ll definitely be a helicopter parent one day and that my husband will be in for a rude awakening when we have kids because he’s never changed a diaper. Step MIL says the girl competes with me very hard and is threatened by me. She just kind of annoys me. She is always trying to one up people. Like one time we all went on a road trip and she had to make it clear that she’s amazing because she drove 5 hours, way more than anyone else. I have a brother who is an addict. She’s never met him but is always giving unsolicited advice on what to do about him. But then she also openly makes fun of his addiction. She’s very overweight and wears belly shirts and daisy dukes and cusses nonstop and always has mascara smeared around her face. I’m the opposite, very put together and conservative. She just grates on my nerves.

A few weeks ago Girlfriend asked what we need for our house for Christmas. I told her candles or cookbooks, easy stuff. She asked if we wanted wall art, I said no because we don’t like to nail into our walls. Brother in law and girlfriend have been talking up their Christmas present to us for the past week. Saying it’s so personal and meaningful and we’ll love it. I go into yesterday with an open heart. It’s jesus’ birthday, I’m trying to love her.

We unwrap gifts yesterday and she spent about $200 on MIL. She bought step FIL a tablet. I think it’s inappropriate to buy such gifts after dating son for 6 months. Whatever I think. It’s jesus’ birthday, love everyone. It’s time for us to unwrap our gift from her. I’m thinking it’s a cookbook, since that’s what we told her we’d like. Husband and I unwrap ours and it’s the best photo from our wedding framed. Nice gesture, but I quickly and absentmindedly say “oh no, we already have this one framed and hung up.” Then husband and I discuss it and conclude that we’ll put it in the master bathroom. The girlfriend then retreats up to boyfriends bedroom and doesn’t come down when we leave. Now she’s not answering texts that I’ve sent showing her where we put the photo and how good it looks in the bathroom and thanking her.

So at first I feel terrible that I offended her. Especially since I went into the day with an open heart. But then I think about it, and I’m actually offended by her gift. She had to get on my Facebook page and save the photo from there. It’s not her intellectual property and she didn’t pay for the photography session. And then she had the gull to think we hadn’t already printed the best photo from our wedding. I feel like she overstepped boundaries. It wasn’t her wedding and it wasn’t her photo to use. I feel like she set this up so she could look like the best gift giver ever. But duh we already printed the best photo. I just feel like it’s pushy and weird.

So, am I being a brat?? Do you think I was mean when I told her we already printed and framed that photo? Would you be offended getting that gift??

Edited to add:we live in a 200 yr old house and don’t like to nail into our walls. This frame can only be hung on a wall. So it’s kind of a tone deaf present.



Submitted December 26, 2018 at 06:15PM by spicyjalfrezi http://bit.ly/2GGuaai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...