Sunday, December 9, 2018

Why is plagiarism such a misused term in kpop fandom?

(I'm re-submitting this here because it was down voted and deleted on r/kpop, go figure)

I understand that kpop fandoms will use any excuse to get angry at each other, but it's legitimately baffling to me to see so many people misuse the term. And it seems to me like it's getting worse with each passing year.

I know this is an issue that pertains to Bts especially but its something I see everywhere in kpop fandom, to the point that its become somewhat of a hallmark of the fandom culture. I'm going to omit using specific examples because I don't want to turn this into a drama thing, but I think most Armys are aware of the way Bts have been dealing with false plagiarism claims basically throughout their entire career. And the thing that gets me is that its usually over something that doesn't count as plagiarism at all. Hair color, general themes, incredibly common stuff like mirrors or school uniforms; this is stuff I usually see brought up in these conversations. Its alarming to me that so many people see this stuff and legitimately believe that its plagiarism. Its easy to blame this on the general age and aggressive nature of kpop fandom, but I've been in other fandoms with the same average age range and heated rivalries with other fandoms, and I've never seen anything like this.

And yet, when ACTUAL potential plagiarism is brought up (not gonna use any examples here for the same reason as above) people will fight tooth and nail about it not being true. Art or music being lifted, almost wholesale in some cases, from other artists is generally not treated very seriously. The term has become so completely bastardized that I don't think the people who use it even understand what its supposed to mean anymore. Why do you think this is a thing that's so prevalent in kpop fandom?



Submitted December 10, 2018 at 02:20AM by Bex917 https://ift.tt/2rux9YU

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...