Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Is my [18F] sister [14F] impaired enough to be this upset about it?

First-time poster, so sorry if anything is weird.

Some background info: When my sister was an infant, she had to get surgery on her thumb, causing her to lack one of the joints in her thumb, on her dominant hand. This "disability" as she calls it has NEVER been an issue, except for recently. Even as a toddler she was able to allow that hand to be her dominant hand. Also, she is very hormonal at this age and she gets upset and emotional VERY easily.

Recently, she has been crying in her room some nights because she really wants to be artistic (painting, crocheting, drawing, nail art, etc.) but she says her thumb won't allow her. She has also posted a picture of her scar on snapchat, subtly bringing attention to the fact that she thinks she is handicapped. She has even brought it up in conversations a couple of times, saying "well I can't do ___ because of my thumb" or simply saying she has a handicap. Knowing that she's crying in her room makes me feel awful and I just need some advice about her situation.

So my main question is: Is this actually a handicap that my parents and I are belittling? It has never been a big deal until recently, so my parents and I are very quick to assume she is just upsetting herself about nothing. Does anyone know what it is like to be missing a joint in your thumb?

Or is she just bad at art and blaming it on her thumb? Is this even something that can be considered a handicap/disability? Is she just making herself think something is wrong with her?



Submitted December 26, 2018 at 08:55AM by astralseafoam http://bit.ly/2V7uiCI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...