Thursday, August 2, 2018

Why "All My Life I Wanted A Chevy I Ended Up Driving The Camaro Off The Causeway Bridge" is a lyrically genius song.

Sup grey fam, I'm doing another song analysis of the boy's songs just like last time, I might make this into a series on the subreddit or something that'd be dope. I basically accord all of my interpretations and studies of the song to y'all.

Anyway, the "All My Life I Wanted A Chevy I Ended Up Driving The Camaro Off The Causeway Bridge" songs are two songs split into two but are a mini 2 part series released on the YUNGDEATHLILLIFE album, and it's fucking musical talent:

The two songs are a pretty much the two staple songs off the album, and the album as a whole primarily revolves around comparing their life of today to when they were kids—from use of the picture of themselves as kids for the album art and the first song on the album dedicated to their dead friends from when they were kids ("I Miss My Dead Friends"), these two tracks perfectly encapsulate this. It represents how they looked up to their idols and their expensive cars in “All My Life I’ve Wanted a Chevy” to eventually getting the car after their newly found fame, but only to find themselves symbolically destroying the car in a symbol of their newly found fame still not securing them happiness in “I Ended up Driving the Camaro off the Causeway Bridge”. The Chevy itself is used as a symbol of their childhood innocence, and they're idolization of artists such as Three 6 Mafia and their song "Ridin' 'n' tha Chevy," a staple song from the boys' childhood which is aptly sampled in the second track. (I will only be focusing on the music video version of the song, only featuring Ruby's verse on All My Life, and $crim's verse on I Ended Up Driving The Camaro, the other verses doesn't really fit anyway---I'm pretty sure this is what the boys' intended). First of all, I want to note the common conception of the boys' music. Destroying expensive cars. It sounds bizarre, but it symbolically references their apathy for material possessions, and they do it a lot. Like in "The Nail to the Cross,"

I swerve off and total my Tesla

...and in "FUCKTHEPOPULATION",

6-4 Impala at the bottom of a cliff, bitch

It's all essentially alluding to how if he could die tomorrow and all of his money and cool cars would just be nothing cause he'd be dead. Anyway, that out the way, back to the music, the opening line to the 2 part song, Ruby says something very interesting:

My ambitions as a rider is to drive right off a fucking cliff

This is a reference to 2pac's song "Ambitionz Az a Ridah," a staple song of Ruby's childhood, and again, back about the title, he uses this in contrast to now, showing that all his ambitions are nowadays is to drive the Chevy right off a fucking cliff. The lines then after depict Ruby swerving off on a snowy road and drowning the car and himself in the ocean, possibly hinting at their older track "Ocean $ide $uicide,"

Road stay froze in cold weather

The Snow Leopard don't even grip

Floating in the ocean

Next, to "I Ended up Driving the Camaro off the Causeway Bridge" using a sample of Three 6 Mafia’s song “Ridin' n' tha Chevy,” another staple song of the boys' childhood, and the song that certainly inspired their younger selves to want a Chevy.

Ridin' in the Chevy as we also smoke the ink, mane

$crim's verse encapsulates everything that has changed from his younger self to his now older character,

Creepin' up in the cut

Don't give a fuck I bust 'em down and buck 'em

Keeping that weapon tucked

Don't test ya luck I cock it back and bust 'em

This highlights how he was once an innocent kid, and how he grew up to be a psycho criminal.

Coming up on that three six killa

His ominous references to the Three 6 Mafia and their popular slang like "mane" "killa" "busta" all show that he still has for Chevy's and three 6 and he always stays true to his origins, but he has profoundly exceeded this level of "famous" this that he has existentially come to the realization of the underlying worthlessness of money and cars.

187 busta, mane

"187" is the Floridian police code for murder. It has since become common slang used by gangs across America, and here, as a threat---somebody's gonna die.

Gold teeth

Noting his update in notable different features of himself from his childhood to now may seem pretty rational and ordinary, but it all further shows how the money and fame and the "expensive cars" like the Chevy being such a symbol of their childhood is contrasted with his newly found fame and money—his gold teeth is something his idols often had, and the gold being a money flaunt as well as being a symbol of the idolization of his ideal image as a kid make this actually quite an effective line.

That is pretty much it, thanks for listening if you read it all, I love spilling my thoughts out on to a Reddit post lol. If you like what you see visit my Genius page @pastelgore for lots of other lyric analysis' of the boys.'

I will do a more in-depth analysis of the lyrics here though! I've noticed a lot of comments saying to "do more," and I'll be happy to, I love doing these so comment under here some songs y'all want me to do and I'll take a look.



Submitted August 02, 2018 at 11:24PM by spooky_blackk https://ift.tt/2LORlRR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...