Thursday, August 2, 2018

I really miss Destiny 1. (Not for content reasons.)

Seriously though. The atmosphere, the planetary locations, the lore. So much of D1 was just flat out more interesting to me. I'm speaking strictly from non gameplay elements here, though obviously some things from D1 I enjoyed more in that regard as well.

I know content wise this has been brought up numerous times, but I'm not talking about that. I played Destiny since closed beta, and I remember how little content the game had in it's first year. I'm not gonna pretend that it was in any better shape than D2 has been.

But man, it hit me while moving between planets in D2 with a friend the other day. The planetary locations in D1 were just so much more interesting to explore. The exception I feel in D2 is Titan, but that planet (moon, whatever) feels so grossly under utilized.

Mars was my least favorite planet in D1, but even then it had all the cool golden age tech stuff going on behind the scenes. I was very happy to see Mars come back in D2, and feel what we got with Warmind was a more interesting take than what D1 had actually. But still even the simplest environments in D1 that SHOULD have been boring and bland weren't.

Those of course being Earth and the Moon. Earth in D2 is pretty bland, not much going on, not much to take in lore wise. It's just...there. But in D1 we got old Russia, absolutely riddled in Rasputin lore.

The Moon seems kind of bland at first glance but then you go underground to where the Hive had burrowed into the place and things got very interesting. I'm still of the opinion that the Hive are the most interesting enemy race, and the Moon was all about them. Delving deeper into the space rock we discovered ritual sites for the Hive, and even Crota's lair. It was really neat.

Now obviously this could all change with Forsaken on the horizon. This is Bungie's chance to really nail a neat story and atmosphere. And I really hope it does. I play the game not just because I enjoy it, but also because I just really love the art direction and lore of this series. But I really miss D1 in these regards. I just feels like we lost some of the real mystery and a much more intense atmosphere in the transition to D2. I sincerely hope Forsaken remedies this some. I also hope Bungie decides to do more with Titan in the future, it has potential to be one of the coolest environments in the series.



Submitted August 02, 2018 at 07:22PM by Trashboat77 https://ift.tt/2vf2iBI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...