Monday, May 28, 2018

Seeking production design examples for a "low-tech sci-fi" aesthetic

Hello R/Filmmakers!

A friend and I are working on a speculative treatment for a sci-fi short film and I'm taking on the role of production designer/art director. We are currently trying to nail down the visual style of the film and my vision is one that looks distinctly science fiction but without being overly "slick" or futuristic. Examples that come to mind immediately are Rian Johnson's Looper, certain scenes from Firefly (particularly the Maidenhead bar scene in Serenity) certain episodes of Black Mirror and the Hadleys Hope colony from Aliens (although this is getting more in that slick, far-future look than I'd like).

My question for you fine folks today is if anybody can suggest more movies or TV shows that might match this near-future, grimy, semi-dystopian aesthetic I'm looking for. My end goal is to assemble a big visual reference binder that I can show to my friend, our DOP, and the other people I will eventually bring on board as a construction/art crew. I'm also hoping that taking the production design in this direction will help me bring costs down without looking cheesy or stupid. The other sci-fi short I made was an ultra-clean super futuristic look (White, grey, silver on all the sets, wardrobe, set dec...everything) and it came out pretentious boring and dull.

I would also be very happy to hear from anyone with their own art dept experiences or any advice they could give going forward. Thanks for reading my wall of text!



Submitted May 28, 2018 at 12:24PM by JusticeVandal https://ift.tt/2ktKGw8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...