Sunday, June 16, 2019

To create mass appeal, should Valve change the default map to something brighter?

Since there's a huge race for these 3 companies to get their game noticed the most I think Valve have shot themselves in the foot without feeling it. Art direction has been a major selling point in video games, for example Minecraft exploded so much because it's simple to read and the world is made of blocks with simple colours. Blizzard Entertainment has found the magic of simple design focused art direction ever since WarCraft 3. So incomes Valve with a team full of talented programmers and designers and I respect them for calling it Underlords and then going double down on the theme of what Underlords should look like but I can't help but think this is their nail in the coffin. Dota fans and hardcore video gamers will probably not mind the dark and brooding atmosphere this game provokes (and also love it) but Valve pushing this to platforms outside of Windows PCs means they are aiming for a wider audience so with all this in mind I think to make this game successful it would reach that goal much faster if the main map would be a different setting like the obvious Radiant forest, a beach or a countryside. We could even have 2 maps given to beginner players just to show that the game can have a joyful mood as well.

I have heard there will be options to buy new map layouts but I'm just focusing on first time players who may never have played Dota to understand its lore and atmosphere (Dire side for example). Let me know what you think, this has nothing to do with an opinion just a suggestion to help Valve see this game succeed.



Submitted June 16, 2019 at 02:17PM by Gvulture http://bit.ly/2MQPI7c

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...