Saturday, June 29, 2019

Thoughts on DQ Heroes and a possible DQ Heroes 3

So I have been playing DQ Heroes 2 for the past few days for the first time, and I personally like it. Thing is, I know that the Koei Hack n Slash games, either the mainstream dynasty warriors or the spinoffs like this or Hyrule warriors, are very polarized; either you like em, or you dont. That's fine and I get that. But I still think that Heroes manages to pull off an entertaining warriors game while staying true to the source material, and making the game feel like an actual RPG.

As far as the characters go, I can't say I'm too into the original characters made for the games. The only ones across both games I found to be interesting was Desdemona/Oranze, and thats mostly because I thought she looked a lot like the basic fighter/warrior class art for DQ9, and it felt more fitting and organic. Luceus is kinda funny but I can go without him, and I like Cesar but something about him doesnt fit with the setting and I cant tell what it is.

I think everyone plays really well, With their own distinctive playstyles, even when it comes to characters who use the same weapon types. I really like Meena and her card-marking mechanic, and Maribel's Boomerang-catching/spell amp system. The English voice acting is...ok. I think it works for some, and not so much for others. The lipsynching is absolutely horrible tho lmao. I like the open-ish world and how recruiting certain characters opens up more areas, but I wont lie and say it doesnt feel like a bit of a slog to backtrack though all of it. But it is way better than a certain open world koei game >.>

Overall I'd be willing to buy the third game if they ever made it. I'd really like to see some more characters added into the series to see how they play, maybe even going back as far as DQ 2 and include the prince of Cannock and Princess of Moonbrook (they would have to get official names though I suppose). Obviously I think some of the party members from DQ 11 can be brought in, Erik and Jade being the more popular choices I would assume. Red and Morrie are now official party members but I think it would be funny to see Trode as a joke character using an alchemy pot to fight. The character I want to see the most, however, is Debora. I'd love to play as her and I felt a bit cheated when she was excluded from the first game with Bianca and Nera. I think her nail weapons would give her a fast and fun playstyle, or maybe she could use Hella's hammer for big strikes for some abilities. Milly would be another character I'd like to see, but mainly for DQ6 representation. I can see her using a fan like Maya but instead of using a pair she would only use one, and she could have more ice-based magic abilities. I'd say I wanna see Ashlynn but I think she would be too similar to Jessica. The Hero's children from V would also be a good addition, but they would need official names I think (which they kinda do I guess). Also don't know what the chances for spin-off characters like Flurette from DQ Swords is like, but I do like her design and it would be neat to see her too.

But yeah, I get that warriors games arent everyone's cup of tea, and I wouldnt say the game should be made over some others. To it's credit, I think the game has its problems but it delivers the fantasy of being in the DQ world and smashing everything in your way, not to mention I think it captures they style beautifully. But that's all just me!



Submitted June 30, 2019 at 02:02AM by bimugen https://ift.tt/2KNXT2h

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...