Friday, January 25, 2019

How many hobbies is too many?

I have probably too many hobbies. They’re all very time consuming as well. They’re mostly all crafty hobbies that I have tons of supplies for, so I feel guilty when I haven’t done anything with them in a long time. I feel like I just have too damn many hobbies to keep up with. I have about a million Pinterest boards with all the different hobbies having their own and I pin things I really want to do but then never do them.

For example: I used to be really into polymer clay in high school. I would spend all day making and baking things and had a huge collection of little things I made. I’ve been pinning things to that board non-stop and over the last year or two, I’ve been pinning really intricate things I want to try and am really excited to make. I haven’t touched polymer clay in about 5 years. My other hobbies have taken over. But I still really want to do them! This is the same for many of my other hobbies.

My hobbies include: bullet journaling, video games, cleaning and organizing, embroidery, sewing, felting, polymer clay, paper crafts, stamp carving, watercolor, digital art, animation, graphic design, hand lettering, makeup, nail art, macrame, weaving, acrylic painting, journaling, photography, candle making, board/card games, and other things outside the home like volunteering and hiking and thrifting.

The first four are the ones that take up most of my time. Since I’ve been doing art all my life, I’m pretty good at almost anything art related I try (since they all have some element related to a craft I’ve already tried) so I just keep doing things and jumping hard and head first into hobbies. I become obsessed with them and then drop a ton of money on supplies and then like 6 months to a year later, I’ve moved on to something else, unfinished projects everywhere. The only things I’ve really stuck with are bullet journaling and video games. I’ve been bullet journaling for 3 years now and it’s something I do daily since I use it as a planner, so I don’t see that slowing down, and my boyfriend got me a switch for Christmas so I’m more into video games than ever now.

Speaking of my boyfriend, he’s like the opposite. He has two main hobbies: CARS and video games. His love for building and modifying and racing cars include all his other minor hobbies like car painting, electrical work, welding, stereo stuff, etc. his hobbies take up a lot of my time as well, with races and car shows and helping him with his truck (I mean, I do love doing this and I could argue that cars are one of my hobbies as well, but even still, it’s just another hobby to add to the already jam packed list). I don’t think he has enough hobbies. Recently, his work (at a school) had 5 days in a row off (weekend then a holiday then 2 snow days) and he was so incredibly bored because it was too cold to work in the garage, too snowy to go anywhere and he was sick of playing games all day. Meanwhile, I’m so incredibly jealous sitting at work with nothing to do because all of our operations were slowed by snow, thinking of all the things I could be doing at home for 3 days.

I was snowed in on Saturday and I spent 14 hours konmari’ing my clothes and reorganizing and refolding things and it was wonderful, one of the best days I’ve had in a long time. I come home from work during the week at 5:30, exhausted and can never get anything done, then I go stay with him at his house all Friday night and all day Saturday and then I have from like 1 - 10:30 pm on Sunday to do my own thing. It’s draining but it’s the only time I get to see him (and his dad is ill so he has to always be there and available to help out).

Basically my point of this big long ramble: how do you deal with having too many hobbies? (Also what are your hobbies? Give me more things to become obsessed with) How do you motivate yourself to do them after work when you’re just too damn tired? How do you give up on a hobby? I’m doing the konmari method (again. I did it half-assed 2 years ago and obviously failed) and part of that will be going through my craft supplies and cutting back and I don’t really know how to go about it.



Submitted January 25, 2019 at 04:49PM by pottymouthgrl http://bit.ly/2CPdIPA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does Long Distance Even Work? (Fucking My Dorm Mate)

​ I'm Hunter and I'm 18, just about to finish off my freshman year in college. So, to give some background on this story that happ...